The MCCC is seeking applicants for the Legislative Internship Program for the spring and summer semesters.
This program provides selected Massachusetts Community College students with an opportunity to learn first-hand about state government and to explore a related career in government and politics. MCCC interns have worked at many legislative offices. When possible, students intern in the State House office of their own Senator or Representative. A $500 grant to underwrite travel and other costs will be awarded by the MCCC to up to 4 interns per semester.
Vice President Donnie McGee, Rep. Steve Canessa, Student Intern Kate Miller (BRCC), Diana Yohe (faculty sponsor), and Nicole Heaney of the Co-operative Education Program. Kate was a student intern for Rep. Canessa and is now a full-time legislative aide for Rep. Christine Canavan.
MCCC Faculty, Counselors, and Advisors:
- Please identify and sponsor interested and qualified students. Discuss this opportunity with them during advisement or in your other meetings with students.
- This is an excellent opportunity to combine academic and community experience. Internships can be integrated with Co-operative Work, Directed Study, and Community Service Projects for college credit at many of our colleges.
- Encourage qualified students, especially those interested in history or political science, to apply for the $500 grants, noting the application deadlines below.
Do you know a student who would benefit from this opportunity?
For Spring Internships: January 30
For Summer Internships: March 30
MCCC Legislative Internship requirements parallel those of the Legislative
- Student applicants complete a one-page application and provide a resume, official transcript, and writing sample.
- Applicants must have a 3.0 minimum GPA based on 12 or more completed college credits.
- Applicants will be interviewed by the MCCC Vice President and the Legislative Education Office at the State House and/or a specific Legislator's Office at the State House.
- A commitment to a minimum of 72 hours is required, and more hours might provide a more meaningful experience.
- Student intern schedules have varied from a six week commitment of two days and 12 hours per week to a 12 week commitment of one day and 6 hours per week.
Download Information and Application Form
- Cover Letter
- Application Form
For further information
For questions about this opportunity please contact MCCC Vice President Diana (Donnie) McGee by email at Vice_president@mccc-union.org or by phone at 508.415.1513.